The IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations) together with the Right to Research Coalition are happy to announce that the Policy Statement on Open Access, Open Education and Open Data has been unanimously approved by the Federation during the last August Meeting General Assembly, that took place in Taipei, Taiwan from August 5th to August 11th.
The International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) believes in the importance of openness across all research outputs as an alternative to the current closed system of research.
Specifically, the IFMSA supports:
• Open Access, defined as the free, immediate, online availability of research articles with full reuse rights.
• Open Educational Resources, defined as high-quality educational materials that everyone is permitted to freely use, adapt, and share.
• Open Data, defined as data that can be freely used, shared and built-on by anyone, anywhere, for any purpose. 1
Since the first days of the preGeneral Assembly workshops that took place from August 1st to 5th Joe, Assistant Director of the Right to Research Coalition , contributed to the Research Integrity featuring Information and Communication Technologies preGA with sessions about not only OA, but also Open Education and Open Data – fundamental aspects of Research.4 Indeed Open Educational Resources (OER) provide a strategic opportunity to improve the quality of education as well as facilitate policy dialogue, knowledge sharing and capacity building. Open Educational Resources are teaching, learning or research materials that are in the public domanin or released with an intellectual property license that allows for free use, adaptation, and distribution. 2
In order to follow up with the great work done till now and make sure we will implement the PS in the IFMSA National Member Organizations and Medical Faculties we represent we are launching a survey. Our aim is to know more about your University and IFMSA Local Committee about Open Access, Open Education and Open Data policies and activities. Please take few minutes to fill in this form. Your participation is highly appreciated
The IFMSA will also contribute to the OpenCon Student Conference 2014 that will take place in Washington DC from November 15th to 16th 2014. You can apply in the new website http://www.opencon2014.org/.
Do not miss this opportunity to be empowered to change research access and to gain leadership skills to facilitate a positive change!
See you in Washington DC!
Ivana Di Salvo, Joseph Mcarthur, Osman Aldirdiri
1. IFMSA Policy Statement Open Access, Open Education and Open Data, August Meeting General Assembly 2014 Taipei, Taiwan
2. UNESCO http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/access-to-knowledge/open-educational-resources/
4. For the participants to the preGA, but also for who did not participate and would be interested – this page might be very useul http://www.righttoresearch.org/learn/IFMSAAM2014.shtml